Offshore Decommissioning Overview
We have been supporting Australia’s offshore oil & gas decommissioning since 2017.
During this time, we have completed many varied projects and assignments that have utilised the skills and expertise of our multidiscipline engineering team.
Some of the activities we have undertaken include:
- A nine-month multidiscipline project (FEED and detailed design engineering, installation, and commissioning) that reconfigured various piping, electrical and instrumentation systems across 3 offshore installations, thus allowing decommissioning plans to proceed.
- A 12-month assignment scoping the decommissioning options for an offshore installation at cessation of production including engineering down, cleaning, air gapping of piping between modules, utility and power requirements, ongoing maintenance needs, ongoing safety and communication systems, access to and from the installation and module dismantling and removal options.
- A 6-month assignment assessing heavy lift vessel (HLV) removal options including preparations required on the offshore installations (such as cleaning, module air gapping) to facilitate the HLV program.
- An 18-month assignment which included the preliminary engineering down of platforms transitioning from a production to non-production status, requiring extensive management of change upgrades, maintenance rationalisation and various systems re-design for non-manned operations.
- A 6-month assignment preparing the overall roadmap for the removal of several offshore installations including preparations for cessation of production, well plug and abandonment, management of change, regulatory management, mothballing/preservation, platform de-staffing and safety requirements.
- An engineering study to advise on the safety requirements and activities required for an offshore installation to be put into a low maintenance (care and preservation) mode.
- Development, over a two-year period of a first-in-kind digital database tool, iTopDecom, to assist in the decommissioning/systems management of complex assets such as offshore oil & gas installations.
If you are looking to get some support or guidance with your offshore decommissioning activities, please feel free to be in touch: